Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dinner Time Woes

So, it is the new year and one of my goals is to stay in my food budget and cook more. So, I had some left over mashed potatoes and thought, "I'll make shepherd's pie". This meal really is the culmination of every thing kids hate: meat, veggies and food mixed together.

I knew the kids reaction was going to be bad, but not this bad!

I also got some "gross", "disgusting", "I didn't know this is what I was eating!" (I have learned never to base my cooking self esteem on my kids reaction). Kaela tried and somewhat liked it. Sam cried, went to bed, took a walk, and then decided to try some. Every smart mother knows to make dessert on a difficult dinner night (no dinner no dessert!). The brownies went over much better!




p.s. I mostly laughed inside at Sam's reaction to dinner (which is why I pulled out the camera). I was just like him growing up. I hated everything. Luckily, I have some hope that Sam will somewhat grow out of it like I "kind of" have.

10 comments:

kacee said...

Oooh, those brownies look so yummy! Shepherd's pie is one of our families favorites but I am totally with you - kids are the very worst to cook for. We have to force Luke to eat everything and when he tries it he does the whole gagging thing automatically, its oretty sad/frustrating. Good job on the cooking, whats for dinner tomorrow?

Oh, and Adi's coat was a Target find, love Target!

The Redhead said...

SOOOOO FUNNY! My dad used to make us sit at the table until we ate everything. I have a 1 year old who will eat anything that is in sight and a 2 year old who wants only candy. Maybe I should try Shepeard Pie. I think it looks good. At least one Mom around here is cooking. Go Joey!

jenn said...

SO funny, Joey! And good for you for sticking to your food budget.

p.s.- you can cook for me anytime! =)

sweet pickles said...

I LOVE shephard's pie, but haven't ever made it for my kids because I know it would be identical to your experience.
LJ seriously gags so hard everytime I make him try mashed potatoes you would think they are deadly.
Ike would willingly put it in his mouth and then promptly spit in on the floor of whichever room his has run off to.
Good for you for trying, though!

Angie Penrose said...

Hilarious! That happens to me all the time. :)

Gunderson's said...

Dinner and dessert look yummy to me. :)

Terry said...

That is so funny!! I still get that. But we can't say we don't try!! Looked good to me!!

Ashley said...

This totally reminds me of growing up! I wonder how your kids would like mom's sausage casserole or porcupine meatballs? I think it is just part of being a kid.

Kathleen said...

Oh, Joey! I am so glad that I'm not the only one that gets those reactions from my kids at dinner! I can't wait for this "phase" of childhood to pass!
So fun to see you and your cute family on Boxing Day!

Sara Boulter said...

This is actually really funny. I stumbled upon your blog and I've really enjoyed reading your posts. This one kills me. My Oliver is the same way. Mr. Picky. I guess sometimes stuff is just gross right? I bought the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook..that Jessica Seinfield one (Jerry's wife.) Anyway, it's turned out to be fabulous and works great for my picky boy. Though, looking at these pictures, why bother cooking something healthy and sneaky? These are priceless!