Thursday, August 9, 2007

Splurges

"PEOPLE are more important than THINGS, but I love my things."
-unknown

So splurging has just been on my mind today. I so love this quote, isn't it true of all of us in this capitalist society? I really do love to spend money...way to much. It totally gives me a high. It all started in college when I worked at Holiday Inn and Amy and I would go shopping all the time. The only catch was we were always looking for a bargain. Well, the hunt for the best deal has never stopped, nor my love for shopping, nor my love for spending. So here are some things that lately I just haven't been able to resist!!

  • Haircuts and color. Just got mine done today which is probably why I am thinking about splurges. There is just something about a haircut that just makes you feel 10 times better instantly. Add in color and were talking a hundred times or so better. Every time I get my hair done I think, wow this is such a splurge...but so worth it. I really shouldn't because I get a great deal with my sister in law who does such an awesome job, but compared to Richard's do it yourself jobs, it is quite the splurge.


  • Decorations. Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've said I'm done going to Roberts or Rod Works (which sound like the same place anyway when you say it really fast), or Target or so on because I've been in a decoration buying frenzy. I said that just last week after I finally got a few things to go atop my cabinets. Honestly, I think about how great something would look somewhere and I just can't stop thinking about it until I have it. If I wake up thinking about it, then I know I have to have it. (I know you are all thinking I am totally crazy). I won't even start on the Target thing, could go on for hours about how I love that place...

  • Kids clothes. Again, only if it is a bargain. Love searching for deals at Old Navy, Gap, Children's Place, Target. Just love to say, "and that only cost me 1.97." It's a wonder how 1.97 can turn into 50.00 so fast.


  • Not money related but my favorite splurge lately...SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. Did anyone see it last night? It is so good and so addicting! I don't even have a favorite because I love them all (although I am blown away every time Danny does a pirouette or leap, oh my, technique!!). I don't know what I am going to do when it is over. =) Although it doesn't even begin to compare with my all time favorite Gilmore Girls which I just love so much. I haven't watched the last season yet. Couldn't bear to...is it really over? Just picking an old wound, sure many of you (if any of you) have been over this since May.

I could probaby go on forever with the many ways I love to spend money and time, but those are my favorite as of late...I'll keep you updated!

7 comments:

Amy said...

This is why we are kindred spirits my friend. All of these vices are also mine - except maybe kids clothes. :) I remember getting home from my mission - and needing a shopping partner, but you were already married and had come to your senses about going shopping every weekend. I've never had a better shopping partner!

Anonymous said...

Joey-
When we do get together, we definitely need to go shopping. It sounds like your splurges are similar to mine!

Kathleen said...

I'm right there with you on the hair thing, sister. Add in an eyebrow wax and I feel like a new woman! And, Gamine said maybe not the kids clothes...well, she has bought me 3 baby outfits in the last few weeks. I think she's catching the bug!

alli may said...

I hear you! I love "so you think...". Neil or Sabre better win. I love them both.

Unknown said...

Hey Joey!
Just checkin' in!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to cautiously approach entering a store because of the joy I find in spending!!!!
There is a fox reality show that has been playing SYTYCD in syndication... already. I've been watching them all over again!
I'm so in love w/ Sabra! I want a girl to win this year!

Anonymous said...

Joey-

You and I are totally the same when it comes to "splurges". Who really considers a shirt for 2.00 a SPLURGE. Only us.
-Stephanie

Heather said...

Hey Joey, I'm right there with you on the TV show splurges. I'm not a huge shopper but I can never pass up a good bargain. Thanks a lot for picking my Gilmore Girls wound. It is over and it's sad. I am so glad Sabra won!