Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Things that make me smile...


Kaela is a member of an All Girls Book Club with eight friends from school. Each month the girls take a turn picking a book from the Newberry Medal or Honor list and hosting Book Club at their home. It was our turn to host this month! The girls read "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. Kaela and I totally enjoyed it, even though it was a little of a challenge to find (if you are interested, wait a couple of weeks until it comes out in paperback). The book is about a girl with an autistic brother whom she makes rules up for to help him understand how life works.

We were so excited to find this cake that had ducks...you'll notice them on the cover because one of her rules is, No Toys in the Fish Tank. We also had fun crafting our own book of rules out of composition notebooks. I was genuinely surprised at how much the girls had to say about this book, I'm talking a few minute answers instead of a yes or no. It totally wowed me to see their reaction to this heartwarming and funny story. Sometimes being a Mom just makes you smile!

11 comments:

Andrea Griggs said...

What a wonderful idea! I think I'll steal that idea when my kids get older for a book club. You are such a good Mom!

Mindurs said...

How creative and cute! I hope my boys will be into it.

The Redhead said...

Can I join? Im sure my mom would be more than willing to host a month!

Heather said...

I think this is such a fun idea! It sounds like a really great book. Anything to get them to love reading when they are young. I'm sure this is definitely helping.

Heather said...

I wish there were more little girls around my neighborhood to do this with! Sounds like tons of fun!

Btw, Hi Joey!!!

Sara said...

What a great and creative thing to be involved in! Such a good Mama! :)

Tamra said...

I love the idea of a kid's book club! I may just have to start one for Daylen with school friends. The book sounds intriguing I think I will add it to Daylen's summer reading program, but ya I will wait for the paperback version.

jenn said...

What a cute idea! Grace would totally love that. You're such a fun Mom.

Missed you at scrapbook night. Can't wait to see you soon, I hope!

{jane} said...

That is the best thing ever! An all-girls book club, how cool! You are a great Mom to be organizing/helping with such great events!

Jane said...

I love that idea. I am totally going to do that!

Angie Penrose said...

How cool is that! We'll have to try and find that book.