Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Boy is a Joy!



"Don't cry because it's over -- smile because it happened." -Mary Engelbright


Well, we can hardly believe it, Sam graduated pre-school today! He is getting big so fast, it seems like just yesterday he was a baby. Today when I took him to his practice for pre-school graduation, he asked me "what am I doing here because I am in Kindergarten now."


And he is such a big kid now, although he has always been big and is even as tall as some of the second graders in Kaela's class. I have had several people remark to me that he is the tallest preschooler ever, which I guess is a combination of his late birthday and Brough genes. He is doing big kid things now too, taking out the trash, playing with Karissa, talking Mom into doing 100+ piece puzzles (and encouraging me all the way, telling me I'm really good at puzzles, even though I'm not). He is also reading so well, and loves spelling words he sees to us so we can tell him what they say. We are so proud of him and love his ability to make us laugh and smile every day. What can we say, except he is our only boy and we just love him and all of his mischievousness so much.



I think Kindergarten makes you realize that kids really do grow up!! And in a way it makes you long for the sweetness of the time in life when your children need you so much (although I feel like I am never leaving that stage). But, growing up is also exciting and wonderful and a whole new stage in parenting. I am so excited to see Sam's little personality emerge even more as his social world and opportunities expand. Parenthood really is a laboratory of learning and changing emotions and stages -- which often helps you step back and enjoy the moment while cherishing the past.


So, here's to the next stage of Sam -- learning and growing and changing, I can't wait to see what he can become!!


On a lighter note, Sam is also finishing his first season of T-ball this week. Any parent who has been involved in T-ball knows how comical (for the most part) watching four and five year olds try to pay attention during a T-ball game is. Sam and his teammates spend the majority of the game picking grass and throwing it at each other and putting it everywhere they can think of (inside their cap, inside their teammate’s cap, in their shoes, shirt, pants, etc). When we were leaving the baseball park the other day Sam asked me when he was going to play on the big fields (meaning the ones they were playing baseball at, with the diamonds and that are mostly dirt). I told Sam that he had to learn to pay attention before he could play on those fields. He quickly responded back, “Mom, I will be able to pay attention – there is no grass there.” I was glad to know that Sam’s attention span, or lack there of, had nothing to do with him, just the grass!












Sam's proud parents!


1 comment:

Amy said...

So, it looks like you found your camera! Sam is such a cutie.